Tuesday, March 13, 2007

250 more pictures! (Tuesday)

I have to keep is short today, as I am trying to get this posted before our internet hours run out today. Today we went to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guards. Or so we thought. The sign there yesterday said that the ceremony would take place Tuesday at 11 am, so we arrived around 10 to take our place but as we approached, we saw the barricades up similar to the ones at Westminster Abbey yesterday. Sure enough, when I asked a policeman what was happening that morning, he said the Queen was meeting the President of Ghana. As we stood near the palace, overhead conversations indicated that the Queen would have a formal processional down Pall Mall and around the round-about in front of where we were standing. 2 hours later, she did a quick drive by after much pomp and ceremony by her various guards. There were policeman and women on horses, the motorcycle cops that go before and after her car, the guards in the bearskin caps, a marching band, the flashy guards with the pointy hats, and so on. Several dignitaries rode ahead on the Queen’s carriages, but we think she was properly situated in a car that followed. While interesting to see the pageantry, it was probably not worth 2 hours of standing. Did meet some nice ladies from both Toronto and one from Michigan, who shared her gum with us.

The theme of the day is “tour guide.” (this is really a continuation from yesterday, I guess since some kids on the tube asked where the train we were on was headed). It was more pronounced today, I guess. It started in the morning, someone asked me for directions to something (can’t remember what), and lo and behold: I knew the answer! So I shared by wealth of knowledge. Then, as we were waiting for the Queen, someone else asked what was going on, so we told them. One the tube ride back to the hotel just now, a woman approached me in the tube station and asked where the tube was for Sloan Street. Paul and I were on the tube that just passed it, so I told her where to go and that it was the very next station. Finally, as we walked from the tube station to the hotel, a lady and another woman I presumed to be her mother, asked us if we lived in the area. Paul said no, but asked if we could help her find something as we were quickly getting used to the area around the hotel. She asked if we knew where St. Mary’s church was. We didn’t, but we looked at our handy dandy a-z London map for more info!

But I digress. After watching the Queen’s entrance to the Palace, we took off for Westminster Abbey (a quick jaunt down the road). Once there, we paid for our tickets and wandered through the abbey, cloisters, and Pyx Chamber. I was riled when one young man put his foot under the roped off area in the Chapter House. It was medieval tile and in very rough shape. Like it needed his Nike tread marks on it! UGH. Dang tourists. The Abbey is overwhelming in its architecture, history, and size. I saw poet’s corner, Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scot’s tombs. Also: Edward II and III, various Henry tombs and the coronation chair. My favorite is Elizabeth’s. I also like the tomb of the unknown soldier—he was fighting in France, I believe, and his body was brought back to London. He was buried in Westminster “among the most illustrious in the land” because he of how he “served his God and House.”

After the Abbey, we took the tube to Brompton Road to see Harrods, London’s mega department store, owned by the Egyptian billionaire someone-Fayad. (Dodi Fayad’s father---this is the man Princess Di was dating when they both died in Paris). It was interesting, but I wouldn’t go there again unless I had to. Paul had a blast in the audio-sound area of the store and bought a couple CDs. I bought tea for my officemates. I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

After Harrod’s we made our way back to the hotel and I better wrap up in order to get this posted in time.

Tomorrow's plan:Hop on-off bus tour. Will hopefully hit the Tower of London ("off with her head!") and St. Paul's cathedral. Will "see" a lot of other places this way--places we didn't necessarily want to visit (pay to go in) but would like to admire from afar nontheless. Night-night.

No comments: